[Linux-cluster] Need advice on cluster configuration

Daniel Cunningham dan at digitaldan.com
Mon Mar 28 23:15:25 UTC 2005

So I have been following this list for a while, and have set up a simple
GFS/LVM cluster running on debian to test it out.  I would like others
opinions on this list about possible solutions.

    We are a small company (25 employees) but have fairly substantial
storage needs.  Right now I have two 1.5 TB scsi arrays each connected
to its own debian box ( scsi jbod array attached to a raid 5 card).  The
two boxes are running DRBD (think of it as network raid 1) synced over a
crossover cable on GB ethernet.  The  boxes  use heartbeat to share a
floating ip address, ie if the primary goes down, the secondary will
come up, take the ip address, mount its side of the  storage and start
nfs/smb services.  Our colo does a tivoli backup every night for
persistent and off site storage. This has worked great so far because...

                  1. if the primary fails, we have a live system again
in 30 seconds
                  2. cheap (well , no , actually the dell scsi arrays
were expensive but not the whole solution)

    I'm now faced with growing storage pains, this solution is not
scalable and we are quickly running out of space.  Plus our system is
now housing some 15 million files which is giving the tivoli system
grief, not to mention if we had to restore, we would be out of business
for days, if not for good.

    What I'm envisioning is buying either a Storcase FC raid array (6.4
TB), maybe even Apples (5.6TB), with two GFS/CLVM boxes in front of it
providing nfs and smb services.  I would also like to purchase another
one with more space just for backups (with off site backups going to the
old system at another location for a while).   So my questions are

    1.  Is the redhat/sistina solution right for this?
    2.  Is there a better solution (for my scenario)
    3.  what thoughts on backup do others have ( I prefer open source,
but we look at commercial)
    4.  Problems with mounts larger then 2TB and nfs clients? (ie 2.4
problems)
    5.  (to redhat) when is the 6.1 availability? ( for AS 4.0 with 2.6
for partitions > 2TB)
    6.  How do I achieve the same nfs/smb/ip failover as I do with
heartbeat (really important!)
    7.  any other words of wisdom :-)

    I have been really whiting my head against the wall on this.  Any
help would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks
    Dan-