[Linux-cluster] cman multihome setup deprecated?

Patrick Caulfield pcaulfie at redhat.com
Mon Nov 7 15:22:04 UTC 2005

Axel Thimm wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking into setting up cman multihome & multicast setup. I see
> that the man page had the multihome bits removed:
>
> revision 1.6
> date: 2005/02/14 03:53:51;  author: teigland;  state: Exp;  lines: +2 -36
> remove multihome setup from man page
>
> revision 1.5.2.1
> date: 2005/02/14 03:54:46;  author: teigland;  state: Exp;  lines: +2 -36
> remove multihome setup from man page
>
> It still seems to work, although I have to route the multicasts
> manually to really have them running over both interfaces (the
> interface parameter in cluster.conf is ignored).
>
> Is this functionality deprecated and to be removed in a future update?
> Or does it need some work to be republished?
>
> What is the recommended precedure for having a dedicated cluster
> network with a failover setup over a secondary network? E.g. I have
> all cluster nodes connected over two network, the client ("LAN")
> network, and a dedicated cluster network ("cluster-net").
>
> What I'd like to achive it to have high-performance by allowing
> cman/dlm to have its own network, but also high-availablity by using
> the "LAN" network when the "cluster-net" fails, e.g. broken cable or
> broken switch.

"deprecated" isn't quite the right word! But I'm not sure what is.

As it stands, cman in RHEL4 supports multihome. The problem is that the DLM
doesn't so it's not much use in most environments.

At the head of CVS, cman does not support multihome (though this should get
added to AIS soon-ish) but the transport layer of the DLM does :)

Currently for failover we recommend the bonding network device which doesn't
achieve what you want, I agree.
--

patrick