Re: [Linux-cluster] Advice on Storage Hardware

In our case there would be a serial and an ethernet heartbeat between the systems.

If one system detects the lack of responsiveness of the other system, it shuts it down, does an IP takeover and mounts the partition that belonged to the other system and now offers it under the new IP address. When the other system has been brought up again, and has been considered stable, it is being advised to take back it's ressource, which does initiate the other system to release it and once that has been confirmed, it takes over the IP address and starts it's nfs service for that partition again.

I have only configured this for active/passive setups with a single partition so far, but to extend that to two partitions and an active/active setup should not be too hard.

Michael