Re: [Linux-cluster] Advice on Storage Hardware

On Fri, 2005-11-11 at 16:54 -0500, David Brieck Jr. wrote:
> On 11/11/05, Rick Stevens <rstevens vitalstream com> wrote:
> >
> > AC/NC's JetStor dual-SCSI stuff works for us under GFS.  We also have
> > a couple of large SANs (each about 26TB), but the small stuff works on
> > JetStors.
> >
> > - Rick Stevens, Senior Systems Engineer     rstevens vitalstream com
>
> So you have two host servers connected to the array in a failover
> configuration? If this isn't the case would you mind explaining how
> you have it setup to account for a host failing?

Yes, that's how we have it.  The client machines mount the primary's
NFS exports, and the secondary just sits there until needed.

A third "supervisor" machine watches heartbeats and if the primary
fails, it aliases the secondary's NICs with the IPs of the failed
primary via an ssh command.  When the clients reconnect, they connect
to the secondary server.

The supervisor can watch multiple 2-server clusters since it's not very
busy.  It ain't pretty, but it works.

- Rick Stevens, Senior Systems Engineer     rstevens vitalstream com -
-       "I'd explain it to you, but your brain might explode."       -