[Linux-cluster] Advice on Storage Hardware

Steven Dake sdake at mvista.com
Fri Nov 11 22:41:39 UTC 2005

David,
Check out wackamole.  It may be a good fit for your application
requirements.

If you have static content, it may be possible to use a "shared-nothing"
architecture in which each node contains an exact replica of the content
to be served.  The replicas can be maintained with something like rsync,
or the like.  This is likely to provide higher reliability (less
components like scsi bus, fibre channel hardware which is finicky,
cabling, etc to fail) and higher availability with wackamole (MTTR is
virtually zero because if a node fails, it is taken out of the server
pool).

One problem you may have if you use GFS with a scsi array is that the
array becomes a single point of failure.  If the array is not RAID,
individual disks become a single point of failure.  Even with RAID 1, it
is possible to suffer a catastrophic failure of two disks at the same
time and result in offline time and restoration from tape (if your
company does tape backups).  This failure scenario will annoy your
customers surely :)

The same problem applies to fibre channel, except now hubs/switches are
SPOFs in addition to the other components unless storage I/Os are
replicated using multipathing.

With dual Ethernet, you add the possibility of replicating the network,
but bonding is really a poor fit to serve your availability
requirements.  What you really need is a redundant network protocol
(such as Totem Redundant Ring Protocol available from the openais
project sometime in the near future) merged with Wackamole's
functionality.

Good luck
-steve