[Linux-cluster] umount failed - device is busy

Lon Hohberger lhh at redhat.com
Mon Oct 10 21:02:26 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-10-10 at 22:06 +0200, Herta Van den Eynde wrote:

> > Did you try enabling force unmount in the device/file system
> > configuration?
> >
> > -- Lon
>
> Thanks for the explanation, Lon.  Yes, the devices are configured for
> "Force Unmount".
> With the device unmounted on all of the nfs clients I even tried to
> 'umount -f' manually, but I got the same result.

Odd.  Well, "umount -f" actually doesn't do what most people think it
does.

The "force unmount" option looks for and kills any user-land process
holding a reference on the file system using "kill -9".

So, if you're getting EBUSY on unmount even though force-unmount is
working (confirmed by you looking at lsof/fuser), chances are good that
there's a kernel reference on the file system.

It could be something NFS related - try "service nfs stop" and see if
you can umount the file system.

-- Lon