[Linux-cluster] Re: GFS, what's remaining

Joel Becker Joel.Becker at oracle.com
Sun Sep 4 04:58:21 UTC 2005

On Sat, Sep 03, 2005 at 09:46:53PM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
> It would be much better to do something which explicitly and directly
> expresses what you're trying to do rather than this strange "lets do this
> because the names sound the same" thing.

	So, you'd like a new flag name?  That can be done.

> What happens when we want to add some new primitive which has no posix-file
> analog?

	The point of dlmfs is not to express every primitive that the
DLM has.  dlmfs cannot express the CR, CW, and PW levels of the VMS
locking scheme.  Nor should it.  The point isn't to use a filesystem
interface for programs that need all the flexibility and power of the
VMS DLM.  The point is a simple system that programs needing the basic
operations can use.  Even shell scripts.

Joel

--

"You must remember this:
 A kiss is just a kiss,