[Linux-cluster] Re: GFS, what's remaining

Joel Becker Joel.Becker at oracle.com
Sun Sep 4 05:00:26 UTC 2005

On Sun, Sep 04, 2005 at 12:51:10AM -0400, Daniel Phillips wrote:
> Clearly, I ought to have asked why dlmfs can't be done by configfs.  It is the
> same paradigm: drive the kernel logic from user-initiated vfs methods.  You
> already have nearly all the right methods in nearly all the right places.

	configfs, like sysfs, does not support ->open() or ->release()
callbacks.  And it shouldn't.  The point is to hide the complexity and
make it easier to plug into.
	A client object should not ever have to know or care that it is
being controlled by a filesystem.  It only knows that it has a tree of
items with attributes that can be set or shown.

Joel

--

"In a crisis, don't hide behind anything or anybody. They're going
 to find you anyway."

Joel Becker
Senior Member of Technical Staff
Oracle