Re: [Linux-cluster] Re: GFS, what's remaining

On 9/3/05, Andrew Morton <akpm osdl org> wrote:
Daniel Phillips <phillips istop com> wrote:

> The model you came up with for dlmfs is beyond cute, it's downright clever.

Actually I think it's rather sick.  Taking O_NONBLOCK and making it a
lock-manager trylock because they're kinda-sorta-similar-sounding?  Spare
me.  O_NONBLOCK means "open this file in nonblocking mode", not "attempt to
acquire a clustered filesystem lock".  Not even close.

No, it's "open this file in nonblocking mode" vs "attempt to acquire a lock in nonblocking mode". I think it makes perfect sense to use this flag.

Of course, whether or not to use open as a means to acquire a lock (in either blocking or nonblocking mode) is efficient is another matter.