[Linux-cluster] partly OT: failover <500ms

Peter R. Badovinatz tabmowzo at us.ibm.com
Tue Sep 6 17:35:42 UTC 2005

Jure Pečar wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Sorry if this is somewhat offtopic here ...
>
> Our telco is looking into linux HA solutions for their VoIP needs. Their
> main requirement is that the failover happens in the order of a few 100ms.
>
> Can redhat cluster be tweaked to work reliably with such short time
> periods? This would mean heartbeat on the level of few ms and status probes
> on the level of 10ms. Is this even feasible?
>
> Since VoIP is IP anyway, I'm looking into UCARP and stuff like that.
> Anything else I should check?

Check out Linux-HA (http://linux-ha.org/). It's been used in sub-second
environments and has some documentation on the fact sheets and other
pages of the web site.  If you don't find enough to help you on the web
site the mailing lists are quite active.

> Thanks for answers,

Peter
--
Peter R. Badovinatz aka 'Wombat' -- IBM Linux Technology Center
preferred: tabmowzo at us.ibm.com / alternate: wombat at us.ibm.com
These are my opinions and absolutely not official opinions of IBM, Corp.