[Linux-cluster] speeding up df/statvfs( ) calls to large GFS volumes?

Hi! Is there a way to speed up the return vaules for df/statvfs( ) when using large GFS volume(e.g 25TB+)? I'm currently working a problem where, as part of disk monitoring, we need to run a statvfs( ) every few minutes. The problem is that we can't determine the interval of running the tool as GFS can, on occasion, take a long time to return a value!

So, is there any variable I can tweak w/ gfs_tool, or mount option I can apply outside of 'noatime', that will help things like 'df -h' run consistently faster?
Help?

Thanks!
.jeff