[Linux-cluster] Re: Linux (qmail) clustering

Darren Fraser darrenf at jammicron.com
Tue Apr 25 18:02:51 UTC 2006

If this is a high volume mail server, GFS and qmail are not going to
work nicely together (at least they didn't in my experience). I had a
qmail server running on a two node cluster with about 300 virtual
domains. Load on each node would spiral out of control until I dropped
one of the machines out of the cluster. I've had success with GFS and
other services (i.e. ftp and web) but just not with qmail.

After googling around some, it appears to be the "NFS safeness" in how
qmail delivers mail (see
http://www.redhat.com/archives/linux-cluster/2005-September/msg00220.html)
that ruins performance on GFS.

If this diagnosis is incorrect I'd love to be straightened out because
my plan for a load balanced, fault tolerant qmail server had to be
scrapped a couple of months back.

Cheers,
Darren