[Linux-cluster] multicast howto

Kovacs, Corey J. cjk at techma.com
Thu Apr 27 11:52:37 UTC 2006

Wolfgang, you can't arbitrarily ping multicast addresses as they don't really
exist in
the sense that an ethernet interface exists as a card. Multicast is a
"subscription"
based concept. You have to be listening for multicast traffic to receive it
at all. To
"listen", one "joins" a multicast group (bind to a mcast ip address) and the
router, if
configured properly will route mcast traffic to your interface. There are
certain mcast
addresses you should never use explicitly. As mentioned, 224.0.0.1 is one of
them, there
are others but I can't recall what they are. Your other config didn't work
(with respet
to multicast) because all of your nodes were listening to different multicast
"groups"
which is like trying to dial in on a party line, but everone using the wrong
phone number.

Important to reitterate, Multicast has to be configured by whoever runs your
router(s).
If Multicast is not enabled on a switch, even if it is on your network, it
turns in to
broadcast on that switch, which defeats the purpose of multicast in the first
place.

Hope this clears some multicast stuff up for you.