[Linux-cluster] Re: E-Mail Cluster

Hansjörg Maurer Hansjoerg.Maurer at dlr.de
Thu Aug 3 07:17:31 UTC 2006

Hi

we had some problems with cyrus-imap on top of gpfs a year ago
concerning mmap files in a simple failover environment.
(see the gpfs-mailinglist)
But with recent versions it works.

Greetings

Hansjoerg

>Right now I'm setting up a similar solution to your... trying
>to support up to 200.000 users on a 5 node cluster, using IBM GPFS.
>
>If sendmail is using procmail to do final mailbox-delivery, I
>think the configuration change should be primarily putting a '/'
>at the end of the path, as that should instruct procmail to
>do maildir-style delivery. At least that's how I've been doing
>it in my ~/.procmailrc. Ref. 'man procmailrc'.
>

>>i have 3000+ users and something like 70GB of
>>emails and  I'll have to test it very well before doing in the
>>production server ....
>>

>Sure..  There are a few mbox2maildir converters.. You should probably
>try a few of them and verify that they all give the same result.
>
>Another thing to check is that your cluster-fs handles your load
>well. My main consern would be how well GFS performs on
>maildir-style folders, as most cluster-fs's I've seen are optimized
>for large file streaming I/O. If possible, try to keep a lot of
>file-metadata in cache so that you don't have to go to disk every
>time someone check their maildir for new messages.
>

>  -jf
>
>--

Dr.  Hansjoerg Maurer           | LAN- & System-Manager

Deutsches Zentrum               | DLR Oberpfaffenhofen
  f. Luft- und Raumfahrt e.V.   |
Institut f. Robotik             |
Postfach 1116                   | Muenchner Strasse 20
82230 Wessling                  | 82234 Wessling
Germany                         |

Tel: 08153/28-2431              | E-mail: Hansjoerg.Maurer at dlr.de
Fax: 08153/28-1134              | WWW: http://www.robotic.dlr.de/

There are 10 types of people in this world,