[Linux-cluster] Re: E-Mail Cluster

Nicholas Anderson nicholas at fiocruz.br
Thu Aug 3 20:27:03 UTC 2006

Hi again all .....

I guess i'm starting to understand how the things should work ....

I was reading about GFS and all the documents that i found suppose that
you have a storage with a SAN and 2 or more machines connected through
FC to the SAN.
Well, it seems to me that in this case the storage or the SAN switch
still being one single-point-of-failure right? If the storage or SAN
goes down, the whole service will be offline right ?

I thought that with GFS i could do something like a "Parallel FS" where
2 (or more) machines would have the same data in their disks, but this
data would be synchronized in realtime ....
am i totally noob or there really has a way to make FS's work in
parallel, synchronizing in realtime?
I'd like to do this without having a SAN (cause i don't have one :-) and
i have only 1 storage ) and without leaving a single-point-of-failure.

Let me try to explain exactly what I'm thinking ...

3 servers, each one with a 300GB SCSI disk (local, no FC) to be
synchronized with the others (through GFS?? mounted and shared as a
/data f.ex.), and one 36GB disk only for the SO.
All the servers would have smtp(sendmail with spamassassin and clamav),
imap and pop3 services running, and probably a squirrelmail.

Is it possible to do this? Is it possible to get this data synchronized
in realtime ?

Thanks again for your really really important answers, and sorry for
asking so much noob questions :-)

Nick