[Linux-cluster] DRBD in Active-active mode

Riaan van Niekerk riaan at obsidian.co.za
Mon Aug 7 15:03:32 UTC 2006

Lon Hohberger wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-08-07 at 09:50 +0200, Neo Hill wrote:
>> Hi everybody,
>>
>> I am still looking on information or documents regarding DRBD in
>> active-active mode.
>>
>> Does anyone could help me ?
>>
>> Thanks a lot.
>
> Fairly certain this is not possible, unless something has changed
> recently.  That is, you cannot use DRBD as a distributed concurrently
> writable mirror; only one node can be the master of a DRBD device at a
> time.
>
> You can do this with GNBD + Cluster Mirroring, though.
>
> -- Lon

According to the DRBD FAQ:

http://www.linux-ha.org/DRBD/FAQ#head-ec4ab5a57e15232e9ac4e12775de5a1b328aeff5

Why does DRBD not allow concurrent access from all nodes? I'd like to
use it with GFS/OCFS2...

       Actually, DRBD v8 (which is still in pre-release state at the
time of this writing) supports this. You need to net {
allow-two-primaries; } ...

I have not tried this myself though, but would like to hear the
experiences of anyone who has tried this.

Riaan