[Linux-cluster] Testing a fence program

John Anderson johnha at ccbill.com
Tue Aug 22 20:02:50 UTC 2006

Thanks for the quick response.  Somehow I missed that binary in my
search of applicable binaries and their man pages.  That did the trick!

>From what I've read it seems that most people who have deployed GFS on
Xen instances are using a fence mechanism that ssh's to the Xen host
running the instance and kills the instance locally.  Mainly due to the
fact that there is no security built into remote operations on xend, and
enabling remote access to xend operations is strongly cautioned.  Other
are using traditional power based fence mechanisms that fence the Xen
host itself which could take down several virtual servers at the same
time.

Is anyone using any alternative to the ssh or power method?  If so,
which method(s) are being used?

Since my security department frowns strongly on authentication by ssh
key, I'm writing a different way to fence xen instances via soap calls
authenticated by ssl certificate exchange.

Does anyone know if I'm reinventing the wheel, or if not, could other
GFS users benefit from code?

John A.