[Linux-cluster] GFS update problem

Roger Peña Escobio orkcu at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 26 01:21:11 UTC 2006

--- Riaan van Niekerk <riaan at obsidian.co.za> wrote:

> Robert Moody - MWEB wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I am trying to apply the latest updates to one of
> our GFS clusters.
> >
> > The problem I have is it seems the GFS patches
> want kernel version
> > 2.6.9-42ELsmp. However the up2date command on the
> system keeps
> > installing 2.6.9-42.0.2EL.
> >
> > Is there anyway to get the older version of the
> kernel.
> >
> > The system is running Redhat ES4 update 4 with GFS
> 6.1
> >

> > Robert Moody
> > Snr. Sun Solaris/Linux Engineer
> > WPF : Communications Officer
> > MWeb
> > Tel : 021 596 8753
> > Cell : 084 466 8521
> >  <mailto:rmoody at mweb.com>
> >

> hi Robert
>
> not using up2date, unfortunately, but via the RHN
> web site or on the
> RHEL4u4 ISOS:
>
> 1 RHN
>
> - Sign in at https://rhn.redhat.com
> - In the search box, select 'Packages' and type in
> 'kernel-smp' and
> [Search]
> - To dramatically reduce the number of kernel
> versions you will have to
> sift through, select "Channels relevant to your
> systems" and unselect
> the architectures, and [Search]. (doing this for me
> reduced the number
> of matches from 900 to 200.
> - Click on kernel-smp
> - Click on the '>|' (the newest packages are at the
> end)
> - You may have to forward a page or two ('<')
> - Click on kernel-smp-2.6.9-42.EL.i686
> - Click on 'Download Package' at the bottom
so, if you install this kernel the kernel modules of
the rhcs and rhgfs will install but, in order of use
it, you will need to run that "old" kernel too :-(
so your computer will be at risk.

so, what I usually do is:
1- after instaling the kernels modules I will get an
extra directory inside the kernel module directory
(/lib/modules/<kernel version for which the gfs was
compiled>/extra)
2- move or copy that extra directory to the kernel
module directory of the new kernel:
/lib/modules/2.6.9-42.0.2/extra
3- run depmod command (if you are running the new
kernel the command will not need any argument, if not
...)

ok, that is a "hack" to get the system working with
the security-ok kernel but is not the right solution
(the new extra directory in the kernel module
directory and the files insight it, will be orfans,
they can't be uninstalled with rpm :-( ). the right
solucions should be recompile the cluster suit and the
GFS for the new kernel but ....

cu
roger