[Linux-cluster] Shared Storage and Quorum device

Peter Gustafsson1 peter.gustafsson1 at se.ibm.com
Thu Aug 31 07:39:50 UTC 2006

Hi,

In Red Hat Cluster  Suite 4 you don't need to have shared storage.

Hälsningar/Regards Peter

Peter Gustafsson

UNIX/LINUX systems programmer

SDO/SSO/Server Management/Operating Systems/Unix

.   Nordic Processor, Oddegatan 5, SE-164 92 Stockholm
%   Phone:+46 (0)8 793 39 23 Mobile:+46 (0)70 793 39 23
)   mailto:peter.gustafsson1 at se.ibm.com
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Certified Engineer

Mikhail A Zelikov <mzelikov at cs.uml.edu>
Sent by: linux-cluster-bounces at redhat.com
2006-08-24 16:36
Please respond to
linux clustering

linux-cluster at redhat.com
cc

Subject
[Linux-cluster] Shared Storage and Quorum device

I was wondering if anybody has information on this. I have 2 node cluster
and some shared storage between two nodes.
The manual contains some information on the shared storage setup:
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/csgfs/browse/rh-cs-en/s1-hardware-cluster.html#S2-HARDWARE-STORAGESETUP

Section 2.5.3.1 at
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/csgfs/browse/rh-cs-en/s1-hardware-connect.html
.
However I could not find a way to tell the cluster to use my raw devices
and also test that any of these devices are being used. I also use my
cluster w/o any shared devices and it seems to work.
But in this case a 2-node cluster requires a quorum devices (usually
shared storage) - I can see that when one node is down I still have a
quorum w/o using any shared storage.

So my questions are:
1. Do I have to have a shared storage?
1.a If yes then how do I configure and test it?
1.b If no then how is the quorum is achieved in 2-node cluster when 1 node
is down?

Thanks,
Mike