[Linux-cluster] Is this possible?

Eftychios Eftychiou eftychios.eftychiou at gmail.com
Mon Dec 4 18:28:36 UTC 2006

I want to setup a Cluster managed by CMAN and related components having 3
nodes ,  2 running the same
service(application) and 1 on standby. The service to be run is not cluster
aware but we do not really care since all the data is stored on an Oracle
Rac that is being accessed by the 2 nodes running the application. If one of
the nodes fails then cman can move the service to the 3. On top of that I
want to use Piranha to load balance incoming Network requests to the
cluster.

I have setup more or less a 2 node cluster using CMAN(no fencing since this
is still for research purposes) and can move services from one node to the
other ( process is still a bit flaky since our startup scripts are not LBS
compliant) but so far did not figure out how I can force CMAN to start the
same service on all the nodes. After going through the available
documentation i came upon the following in the FAQ.
" RHCS doesn't let you start the same service multiple times" along with the
subsequent explanation.

Anyway to cut the story short. I understand the explanation and the
reasoning behind this, however I do see a need for managing active-active
services for systems that are not cluster aware but do not really care
whether they are in a cluster as such. Now to my question. Is it possible
for CMAN to make it start the same application on for example 2 nodes and
have as a failover a third or more nodes?

Perhaps I am complicating things a bit more that required or have a
misconception somewhere. I would appreciate any sort of feedback and
recommendations.

Regards,
Eftychios Eftychiou