[Linux-cluster] Re: CS4 / U2/U3/U4/ problem about cluster_idgeneration

Alain Moulle Alain.Moulle at bull.net
Wed Dec 13 09:17:38 UTC 2006

Michael Will wrote:

>> If you stick to the numerical cluster I'd and just use a more robust
>> hash alg you should be fine...
>>

> We can't change the hash algorithm as it would break backwards compatibility -
> new nodes would hash the same name to a different
> value and refuse to join the cluster.

> A better solution might be to allow the cluster number to be specified in ccs
> as well as the name so it would override the hash value.
> -- patrick

Yes, this seems also to me a good solution: if a new field "cluster_id" is set
in cluster.conf (together with "cluster_name") generate_cluster_id takes it, and
if not, it generates the id as usual.
Is there any possibility for such an evolution in a future patch on CS4 U4 ?

Thanks
Alain

mailto:Alain.Moulle at bull.net
|	Alain Moullé	       	| from France :	04 76 29 75 99  |
|                              	| FAX number  : 04 76 29 72 49  |
| Bull SA		       	|				|
| 1, Rue de Provence  		| Adr  : FREC B1-041            |
| 38432 Echirolles - CEDEX     	| Email: Alain.Moulle at bull.net  |
| France                       	| BCOM : 229 7599               |