Re: [Linux-cluster] RH5 and clustering

On Dec 7, 2006, at 2:17 PM, Robert Peterson wrote:

Hi Tarun,

There are a number of changes in the cluster code between RHEL4 and RHEL5, many of which are internal and should be transparent to users. I'll outline a few of the changes:

Most noticeable user changes:

1. Cool new web-based cluster administration tool called Conga.
2. Cluster.conf has a new "nodeid=X" requirement.
3. GFS2 now available as a tech preview, with fs, userland tools such as mkfs.gfs2, gfs2_fsck, gfs2_convert, etc. 4. Centralized init script: service cman start (not counting clvmd and gfs init scripts.) 5. No more lock_gulm locking protocol. Users encouraged to use dlm locking.

Some of the less noticed internal changes:

1. A lot of code has been moved from the kernel to userland for better system integrity and easier debugging.
2. New group daemons: groupd, gfs_controld, dlm_controld.
3. Cluster infrastructure built on top of openais cluster technology.
4. DLM and GFS2 now part of the base kernel (accepted upstream).
5. Lots of little improvements.

There are more, but I'm drawing a blank at the moment.

I guess I should have been more specific on whether it would be an easy migration or not from an enduser perspective. Glad to hear that it will be!

Thanks to all for their answers,

Tarun