[Linux-cluster] ACL issue with Samba 2.0.23d + GFS

Dex Chen dex.chen at crosswalkinc.com
Wed Dec 13 23:46:12 UTC 2006

I build (with ACL support) and installed samba 2.0.23d on RedHat EL
2.6.9. It runs fine. But, I ran into an issue with ACL support.
Here is the detail:
I set up a cifs share (gfs_cifs) which is on Linux GFS (see the smb.conf
below), and mount it on a XP box. Then I try to change the permission of
the dir through Windows native security tab. When I apply the changes
(click on OK/Apply button), "Unable to save permission changes ...
Access is denied" error message is popped up.
I tried all other options in smb.conf, and nothing is help.

But, I was able to using "setfacl" command on linux to modify the acl of
GFS dir.

In addition, I was able to do exactly same thing for a share (ext_cifs)
on ext3 file system.

>From the above, it seems to me this problem has something to do with
GFS.
I took a look at the src/kernels/2.6.9-34.EL-x86_64/.config file and did
not see any GFS entries similar to the following fro EXT3:
CONFIG_EXT3_FS_XATTR=y
CONFIG_EXT3_FS_POSIX_ACL=y

Any help on this would be really appreciated.

Thanks,

Dex

====================smb.conf======================================

[global]