[Linux-cluster] ext3 filesystem

Graham Wood gwood at dragonhold.org
Thu Dec 14 16:38:34 UTC 2006

> You're right--the other nodes won't be informed of file system changes,
> so they should all mount ext3 read-only.  Better to use GFS.
Unless I'm really missing something - this still isn't going to work.

To give a simple example:

1) Create a 10GB file on the filesystem using node1
2) Mount it read only on node2, and look at the start of the file.
3) Delete the file on node1, and copy /etc/shadow onto the disk 200 times
4) less the file again on node2 (and look further in) - you're
reasonably likely to see the contents of /etc/shadow

Whenever I've seen this sort of thing discussed in the past, the
comment has been that it has to be mounted read-only EVERYWHERE.

Graham