[Linux-cluster] ext3 filesystem

Matthew Geier matthew at arts.usyd.edu.au
Thu Dec 14 23:29:39 UTC 2006

Graham Wood wrote:

>> That's what I was trying to say in the "they should all" quote above.
>> If it's ext3, it has to be mounted read-only everywhere because changes
>> to the file system will pull the
>> rug out from under ext3 on the other nodes, with unpredictable results.
>> If it's GFS, no problem sharing the file system.
> Sorry - the first post seemed to state that you could have one writing
> and the rest reading, and I misread the second so missed that.

  I would think that the suggestion of one writer and multiple readers
is NOT a good one. If all were Read Only, I guess it could work, but the
moment one host is writing, I would think thats a sure fire way to cause
a kernel panic in the other nodes when they go to read the ext3 file
system and find it an inconsistent state as the writer is half way
through some operation and the ext3 code never expected this state to
occur on a read. And this is ignoring cache inconsistencies that could
give incorrect or corrupt data.