[Linux-cluster] Performance questions

Tom Mornini tmornini at engineyard.com
Thu Dec 21 11:58:43 UTC 2006

On Dec 21, 2006, at 3:44 AM, Shailesh wrote:

>     I have two performance related queries for GFS,
>
> 1. What would be the optimal number of GFS nodes I can
>    have on Gigabit ethernet lan, is it unlimited?

This is a good question. I had heard that GFS had been tested at
somewhere near 300 nodes or something, but further investigation
has shown that those tests were using the old GULM.

As I understand it now, with DLM, the system is limited a practical
limit of around 16 nodes. Is this still correct?

> 2. How would the comparisions between GFS and Lustre file system
>    look like in terms of
>    - Number of nodes supported for optimal performance and
>    - Bandwidth usage.

Another very good question, indeed.

--
-- Tom Mornini, CTO