[Linux-cluster] Re: Lazy umount - NFS HA

Matthew Geier wrote:
Jordi Prats wrote:
Hi all,
It's normal that I must use a script to do a lazy umount (umount -l
/mountpoint) of a ext3 partition (not GFS) in a HA NFS cluster?

I'm having the same problem - the service won't shutdown cleanly as it can't unmount the file systems - which it can't unmount due to some one logging in with SSH and their home directory is on that volume.

I don't think using umount -l is going to do what you want. It means that the kernel will continue to write to the filesystem for an arbitrary amount of time after the umount completes, which *will* cause havok if another node mounts that ext3 partition.

We got around this by writing a custom script that uses fuser to identify and kill all processes that had open files on the filesystem.

--
Jon Biggar
Levanta