Re: [Linux-cluster] GFS volume already mounted or /mnt busy?

Robert Peterson wrote:
bigendian+gfs gmail com wrote:
Hello Robert,

The other node was previously rebuilt for another temporary purpose and isn't attached to the SAN. The only thing I can think of that might have been out of the ordinary is that I may have pulled the power on the machine while it was shutting down during some file system operation. The disk array itself never lost power.

I do have another two machines configured in a different cluster attached to the SAN. CLVM on machines in the other cluster does show the volume that I am having trouble with though those machines do not mount the device. Could this have caused the trouble? More importantly, is there a way to repair the volume? I can see the device with fdisk -l and gfs_fsck completes with errors, but mount attempts always fail with the "mount: /dev/etherd/e1.1 already mounted or /gfs busy" error. I don't know how to debug this at a lower level to understand why this error is happening. Any pointers?
Hi Tom,

Another thought. If someone went in there without your knowledge and did something bad like mkfs.ext3 /dev/etherd/e1.1 (or mkfs.vfat, reiserfs, xfs, jffs2, or whatever) or worse, the underlying device, it would also manifest itself as the problem you're seeing.

If it were me, I'd do: "gfs_edit /dev/etherd/e1.1" and have a look at block 0. The gfs_edit tool starts you out on block 0x10 (the superblock), so you'll have to do 16 "b" keystrokes or else arrow up and change block number to 0 and press enter. The first 16 blocks of the file system should be all zeros, 0x00. If they look like a bunch of numbers instead, then maybe somebody overwrote your file system. BTW, gfs_edit is a dangerous
tool so don't change anything with it.

Regards,

Bob Peterson
Red Hat Cluster Suite