[Linux-cluster] Selling computation time

Jayson Vantuyl jvantuyl at engineyard.com
Wed Dec 27 01:34:58 UTC 2006

I think that there is also a general consensus that billing for CPU
time is very difficult to do these days.  Most programs are not CPU
bound and CPU is plentiful.  There isn't much time used.  To add to
this, a lot of processing is done in the kernel in such a way that it
is hard to bill for it.  Finally, bandwidth costs usually dwarf
clustering costs.

I'm sure there are a lot of high-performance people that might
consider it, but for the high-availability folks, it's not much of a
sell.

On Dec 26, 2006, at 12:44 PM, Chetoo Valux wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> Maybe these dates I've drunk too much champagne, but I've wondered
> about the following: as you know building and maintining a cluster
> is not a trivial issue, not to mention housing it ...
>
> I wonder then if there would be potential buyers for cluster time.
> I've been browsing,  not too deep, the net, and I've not found
> (yet) any information of someone selling cluster time.
>
> And when clusters come into place, I guess this is one of the right
> places to ask ...
>
> Best wishes,
> Chetoo.

Jayson Vantuyl