[Linux-cluster] distributed database on multiple servers/disks

Hello,

I'm thinking about setting up a MySQL database clustered (but not like MySQL Cluster which kinda just does mirroring AFAIK).

I want it to be partionned on multiple disks/servers.

Here is my apporch:

             +-------------------+
             | Application (PHP) |
             +-------------------+
                      ^

               +--------------+
               | MySQL Server |
               +--------------+
                      ^

+--------------- logical disk ----------------+
|                     ^                       |
|                     |                       |
|        +----LAN-----+----LAN-----+          |
|        |            |            |          |
|        v            v            v          |
|   +----------+ +----------+ +----------+    |
|   | physical | | physical | | physical |    |
|   | server 1 | | server 2 | | server 3 |    |

The idea is to split the data on 3 physical servers when data is written. So each server will have 1/3 of the data on their disk. It would work as a RAID 5 system.

In case of full disk space, you would add a new physical server (node) and the data would be redistributed to all servers, each getting 1/4 of the data.

In case of server failure, because of distributed parity (RAID5), it could keep going.

Or alternativly think about a RAID0+1 configuration.

Do you have any idea if this could be achived using LVM, RH Cluster Suite or any other clustering / partitioning system ?

Regards,
--
Alexandre CONRAD - TLV
Research & Development