[Linux-cluster] two nodes -> tree nodes

Patrick Caulfield pcaulfie at redhat.com
Thu Feb 2 16:15:14 UTC 2006

Stanislav Polášek wrote:
> Hi everybody. I would like to add third node to the running cluster
> without restart of the cluster services. But when I try to join the
> cluster with the third node, the other two refuse the requests with the
> message "CMAN: join request from node requested, exceeds two node
> limit". My cluster.conf does not explicitly state the two_node
> parameter, but cman seems to run in that mode. What would be the right
> way to add the third node without restart of the cluster services on the
> other two?

two_node="1" Must have been in the cluster.conf file when the cluster was
formed - that's the only way the flag inside CMAN can get set.

Once you have a 2 node cluster the only way to add a node is to remove all
nodes from the cluster and join them again without two_node set.

>From 3 node upwards you can add nodes as you please - it's just the transition
from 2 to 3 that needs a restart because 2 nodes is a special case.

--

patrick