[Linux-cluster] dependencies between services

Is it possible to set up dependencies between cluster services? That is, I have services A, B, C, and D. B, C, D can't run unless A is running, but B, C, and D are all independent of each other and I want to be able to control them individually, i.e. be able to start/stop (or rather, enable/disable) each without affecting the others. I know I could define them as dependent resources all in the same service, but then I can't have that independence between B, C, and D ... unless I'm missing something.

Of course, the fall-back approach is that I just define each as a separate service and make the init scripts for B, C, and D check to see that A is running (probably via a clustat | grep "A's name" kludge), but I'm hoping there's a better way, since this is ugly as hell and will only work if the service consists entirely of init script resources.

-g

Greg Forte
gforte udel edu
IT - User Services