Re: [Linux-cluster] May I turn on direct I/O and/or async I/O when using GFS as the cluster file system for Oracle9i RAC?

Thai Duong wrote:

Hi there,

I'm using Red Hat GFS 6.0 as the cluster file system for a 4-node Oracle RAC 9.2.0.7 <http://9.2.0.7>, each node is running RHAS 3 Update 6. There're probably a lot of benefits in using direct I/O and/or async I/O with Oracle9i RAC. RH GFS itself supports direct I/O regardless of the application running on top of it. I have asked a Oracle Support Service guy and he confirms that we can use direct I/O feature of RH GFS but he doest have information about async I/O. May I turn on direct I/O and/or async I/O (I mean recompile Oracle to support async I/O) when using GFS as the cluster file system for Oracle9i RAC? Do you have any experience with this? Please help.

Direct IO is ok for both GFS 6.0 and GFS 6.1. Asyn IO is enabled in >= RHEL 4 (GFS 6.1) Update 3 (in beta testing).

Also there could have deadlock issues with Direct IO with Oracle under GFS 6.1 (<= RHEL 4 U2).

-- Wendy