Re: [Linux-cluster] May I turn on direct I/O and/or async I/O when using GFS as the cluster file system for Oracle9i RAC?

Hi Wendy,

Thx for the information. I'll turn on direct I/O on my system. Do you have any information about how many percent I should gain in term of I/O performance when turning direct I/O on in general and with Oracle RAC in particular?

TIA,

--Thai Duong.

On 2/13/06, Wendy Cheng <wcheng redhat com> wrote:
Thai Duong wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I'm using Red Hat GFS 6.0 as the cluster file system for a 4-node
> Oracle RAC 9.2.0.7 <http://9.2.0.7 >, each node is running RHAS 3
> Update 6. There're probably a lot of benefits in using direct I/O
> and/or async I/O with Oracle9i RAC. RH GFS itself supports direct I/O
> regardless of the application running on top of it. I have asked a
> Oracle Support Service guy and he confirms that we can use direct I/O
> feature of RH GFS but he doest have information about async I/O. May I
> turn on direct I/O and/or async I/O (I mean recompile Oracle to
> support async I/O) when using GFS as the cluster file system for
> Oracle9i RAC? Do you have any experience with this? Please help.

Direct IO is ok for both GFS 6.0 and GFS 6.1. Asyn IO is enabled in >=
RHEL 4 (GFS 6.1) Update 3 (in beta testing).

Also there could have deadlock issues with Direct IO with Oracle under
GFS 6.1 (<= RHEL 4 U2).

-- Wendy