[Linux-cluster] Queston about rh cluster suite 3

Lon Hohberger lhh at redhat.com
Tue Jan 24 18:51:24 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-01-19 at 16:28 +0100, carlopmart wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>   I have a customer who needs to deploy RHCS 3 on two nodes using
> TrendMicro IMSS 5.7 with RHEL 3. And i have two questions:
>
>   - Which type of power swithes I need to accomplish this?? i can not
> found anything about it on RedHat's website. Is it posible to use
> serial null cable instead a power switch?

You need a power switch to ensure that I/Os on the dead node don't make
it to shared storage after the surviving node recovers the services.
You can run RHCS3 without a power switch, in which case, the cluster
becomes extremely paranoid (where the slightest twitch causes nodes to
reboot themselves!).

I'd check out http://www.wti.com - most of their networked power
switches (NPS, TPS, IPS, and NBB series) are covered by RHCS3's STONITH
code.

-- Lon