[Linux-cluster] 2-node fencing question

danwest at comcast.net danwest at comcast.net
Mon Jul 31 13:20:07 UTC 2006

I was wondering if someone could shed some light on the following scenario:

We have a simple 2 node cluster defined with <cman expected_votes="1" two_node="1"/>.  The fencing method is via

              <clusternode name="node1" votes="1">
                        <fence>
                                <method name="single">
                                        <device name="ipmilan" ipaddr="10.1.1.10"/>
                                </method>
                        </fence>
                </clusternode>
                <clusternode name="node2" votes="1">
                        <fence>
                                <method name="single">
                                        <device name="ipmilan" ipaddr="10.1.1.20"/>
                                </method>
                        </fence>
                </clusternode>

                <fencedevice name="ipmilan" agent="fence_ipmilan" login="XXXX" passwd=”XXXX"/>

The out-of-band IPMI is basically a crossover cable to each other’s IPMI interface.

A simple test of pulling the public interface one the node with an active resource results in each node being fenced.  My understanding is that in the 2-node configuration the fencing is a race to see who can fence each other first.  My concerns are the following:

1)       If it is indeed a race it seems like both nodes successfully issue a /sbin/fence_ipmilan (ipmi_tool) resulting in both nodes being fenced.
2)       Is there a way for this algorithm to determine which of the nodes was the one that had the problem?  A simple race to fence could result in the faulty server winning.

Also is there a way to configure fence_ipmilan in cluster.xml to reboot rather than stop the server?  fence_ipmilan by itself takes the –o option (on,off,reboot)

Thanks,
 Dan