Re: [Linux-cluster] persistent binding/naming with Linux

sun sadm wrote:
Hello colleague

We use RHEL4 update 3, RHCS and SAN device.
There are different possibilities for persistent naming/binding.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of the different solutions? Which is
recommended? I would be very gladly for short configuration excerpts.

1) RDAC driver /var/mpp/devicemapping
2) udev a new rule in /etc/udev/rules.d
2) devlabel assigned name (mapped to UUID), this label in cluster.conf

further possibilities?

Nico

Good day Nico

1) I dont know RDAC. From what I was able to gather, it is IBM storage specific and an extra add-on (extra to the OS) 2) I found this in the Red Hat Knowledge Base: How can static names be assigned for devices in udev for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4?
http://kbase.redhat.com/faq/FAQ_43_8082.shtm
3) devlabel is RHEL 3 only

I would recommend (2) since RHEL 4 supports it out of the box and is storage-agnostic.

Disclaimer - I myself havent used udev to provide persistent names in a RHEL 4 cluster.

Riaan
begin:vcard
fn:Riaan van Niekerk
n:van Niekerk;Riaan
org:Obsidian Systems;Obsidian Red Hat Consulting
email;internet:riaan obsidian co za
title:Systems Architect
tel;work:+27 11 792 6500
tel;fax:+27 11 792 6522