[Linux-cluster] persistent binding/naming with Linux

Riaan van Niekerk riaan at obsidian.co.za
Tue Jul 4 15:10:52 UTC 2006

sun sadm wrote:
> Hello colleague
>
> We use RHEL4 update 3, RHCS and SAN device.
> There are different possibilities for persistent naming/binding.
> What are the advantages and disadvantages of the different solutions?
> Which is
> recommended? I would be very gladly for short configuration excerpts.
>
> 1) RDAC driver /var/mpp/devicemapping
> 2) udev a new rule in /etc/udev/rules.d
> 2) devlabel assigned name (mapped to UUID), this label in cluster.conf
>
> further possibilities?
>
> Nico

Good day Nico

1) I dont know RDAC. From what I was able to gather, it is IBM storage
specific and an extra add-on (extra to the OS)
2) I found this in the Red Hat Knowledge Base: How can static names be
assigned for devices in udev for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4?
http://kbase.redhat.com/faq/FAQ_43_8082.shtm
3) devlabel is RHEL 3 only

I would recommend (2) since RHEL 4 supports it out of the box and is
storage-agnostic.

Disclaimer - I myself havent used udev to provide persistent names in a
RHEL 4 cluster.

Riaan