RE: [Linux-cluster] replication

Kovacs, Corey J. cjk at techma.com
Fri Jul 7 11:09:47 UTC 2006

Is there a specific reason you need to avoid shared storage? If there is,
then
you might look at Lustre which uses a bunch of host computers (OST's) as
storage engines and makes the files available to a single namespace. To be
really useful you need lots of OST's which are not consumers of the
filesystem.
The benefit is that you can add capacity and throughput by simply adding
OST's.
The bad thing is that there is no built in redundancy of OST's. They can be
made to be redundant by using other clustering technologies (such as RHCS)
but
for now, the OST's are not, by nature redundant. In the next year or so, they

expect to be able to configure OST's as raid-1 and raid-5 personalities but
it
no where near that yet (raid-0 now). The other problem with this approach is
that
it costs quite a bit to implement due to hardware. So, that's why I ask if
you need to
avoid a shared storage solution for some reason. If not, then you might look
at
HP's MSA1500 entry level SAN. It can do active/active (for RHEL3) and
active/passive
for RHEL4 (not sure why the difference yet). They can be bought for around
20k fully
loaded and redundant.

Anyway, in the long run, a low end san is really the way to go if you can
spend the cash..

Corey