[Linux-cluster] AoE does not discover

Tracy R Reed treed at ultraviolet.org
Wed Jul 19 00:34:51 UTC 2006

Arnd Schmitter wrote:
>> /sys/module/aoe/parameters/aoe_iflist contains the active
>> ethernet interface. If I echo interface names into /dev/aoe/interfaces
>> they appear in /sys/module/aoe/parameters/aoe_iflist so I know aoe is
>> loaded and doing something.
>>
> But not on the network or ?

Right, it seems to be not talking on the network.

> Normaly the aoe-driver should made a broadcast to discover all Server on
> the net. If you cant see any Traffic on the Server then it looks like
> that one of the Hosts Blocks the Networkpacket somewhere.

I have directly connected a machine to the machine that should be doing
the aoe broadcast and I run tethereal on it and it sees nothing.

I am thinking maybe my hardware is messed up somehow. I have AoE working
properly from my disk node to my desktop workstation so I know the
technology works and that I have the server set up properly.

The server that cannot discover AoE devices is using a Tyan S2882-D
Thunder K8SD Pro motherboard. Anyone know what ethernet drivers I should
be using with this? It is very strange. It has two gigabit network
ports. I understand it has a Broadcom gigabit chipset. But apparently it
also has an Intel eepro10/100 chipset...maybe on only one of the ports.
It is not clear. I cannot find any docs anywhere that explain this
clearly. I originally booted it with the eepro10/100 chipset and that
detected a network interface, but only one. And it did not seem to be
able to do AoE discovery over that interface for whatever reason. I
removed the intel driver and compiled the Broadcom NetXtreme II driver
into the kernel and it did not detect any ethernet devices at all.

Is anyone using one of these boards? Care to tell me what driver you are
using or exactly what kind of ethernet chipset it really has?

--
Tracy R Reed                  http://ultraviolet.org
A: Because we read from top to bottom, left to right