[Linux-cluster] dedicated heartbeat LAN and documentation

Riaan van Niekerk riaan at obsidian.co.za
Fri Jul 21 11:30:25 UTC 2006

sun sadm wrote:
> Hello colleague
>
> How to configure a dedicated LAN (for example eth3) as heartbeat? We
> don't wish heartbeat over public LAN.
>
> Second: the official  documentation (Red Hat Cluster Suite Configuring
> and Managing a Cluster) is very bad. Are there additional documents?
>
> Nico

Hi Nico

1 the heartbeat happens over the interface which carries the IP which
resolves to the node names. There is no way to have another or an
aditional heartbeat interfaces configured as was the case with
clumanager in RHEL AS 2.1. Your best solution to have a redundant
heartbeat interface (albeit over your primary/public interface) is to
use channel bonding. Perhaps you can configure your nodes to communicate
over the non-public LAN but have  VIPs and services running on the
public LAN. I have never tried this, and we have decided to live with
heartbeat over public LAN, using a non-default multicast address: cman
sends heartbeat info every 5 seconds to 225.0.0.1 (what we configured)
or the broadcast address on port 6809. This traffic is minimal, to a
non-standard port, and avoiding it over public LAN might be a major hassle.

note (aside): RHEL 2.1 had heartbeating capability over serial,
non-public LAN and the primary LAN (as well as quorum partition
communication), which lessened the impact of any of the other channels
going down).

2 I have the following list of resources (apart from the official docs)
for own internal use:

Project page
http://sources.redhat.com/cluster/

Cluster Suite, GFS project FAQ
http://sources.redhat.com/cluster/faq.html

Red Hat Cluster Suite NFS Cookbook
http://sources.redhat.com/cluster/doc/nfscookbook.pdf

Indepth discussion on Failover domains
http://people.redhat.com/lhh/fd.html

GFS page at DataCore (somewhat old, but still has information which
might be useful)
http://open.datacore.ch/page/GFS

GFS wiki (non-Red Hat maintained)
http://gfs.wikidev.net/Main_Page

You are right, the official Cluster Suite documentation is definitely
not what it should be. There are numerous bugzilla entries open against
the docs. Upon enquiring about the state of Cluster Suite documentation
with my Red Hat representative, he said that there is something in the
works, but could not give me an ETA on when the docs will be
re-released. The linux-cluster (this list) archives are definite your
friend. You can also try #linux-cluster on irc.freenode.org, even though
this channel has (IMHO) more developer than user activity.

Riaan