[Linux-cluster] cluster and Apache tomcat

Marc Grimme grimme at atix.de
Thu Mar 30 15:36:15 UTC 2006

Hi,
On Thursday 30 March 2006 17:26, FM wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> Next month, we'll have 6 servers connected to a SAN. Those servers will
> be in a web farm. And web documents will on a GFS file system. We will
> use the Redhat cluster suite.
>

> I'd like to install Tomcat 5 and/or 5.5 on those servers and use its
> cluster's possibilities (mod_jk for example).
>
> Some webapps need sessions. But I read that tomcat will handle that.
>
> But How do you handle webapps installation on all servers ? Do you
> deploy the war 6 times ? If not is there a tomcat way to replicate these
> webapps ?
No you don't need to, just put it on GFS.

> Can I put the webapps folder on a GFS partition ?
Dito. No problem as general answer. But it sometimes depends on the
application (what webapps you have).

> How about tomcat writing to a gfs file system ?
You can put anything on GFS without problem when using tomcat. We have
installed a 16 node cluster shared root, shared data, shared tomcat vars on
GFS running without problems. There are some specialities but these are
dependent on applications and stuff.

Hope that helps
Regards Marc.