[Linux-cluster] 2nd try: fencing?

James Parsons jparsons at redhat.com
Mon May 1 13:32:48 UTC 2006

Jason wrote:

>>What you use for a fence method all depends on your hardware.  If you
>>give a quick explanation of your hardware setup, we might be able to
>>help you pick a fence device that will work with what you have already.
>>Or if you don't have anything that could be used to block access, you
>>might have to buy some network power switches.
>>

>right now, all I have is 2 dell servers in a rack with identical configs. (dual ethernet
>controllers and 1 separate controller for the heartbeat).

Do your Dell servers have Drac support? RHCS supports Drac 4/I and
DracIII/MC.

>Both are running
>linux-ha and are both connected to a dell powervault 220S storage array which is configured so
>that both hosts can access the drives concurrently (cluster mode). Im following the instructions
>at
>http://www.gyrate.org/archives/9  and am at step 17.. which says to configure CCS.
>
>I guess we could get an APC power switch, but what would you folks suggest? i.e. what model for
>just a 2 cluster node (each server has 2 power supplies). Or is there a better way?

An AP7900 would probably work for you. If you use system-config-cluster
to configure your cluster, it will detect that you are fencing each node
twice with a 'power switch' type of fence on the same level and set the
appropriate attributes for you in the cluster.conf file.

-J