[Linux-cluster] < fecing with out any hardware? >

James Parsons jparsons at redhat.com
Mon May 1 14:36:11 UTC 2006

Pool Lee, Mr <14117614 at sun.ac.za> wrote:

>Hi...
>
>I was wondering if it would be a good idea to fence without any type of hardware, besides the pc's.
>
>At the moment I have about 6 machines that I want to have a gfs on these 6 machines but due to budget constraints I cant afford to by hardware. How is it possible to fence without the use of hardware, besides manual fencing.
>
>These machines are your basic desktop pc's, each has a 80gig HD and a 3Ghz P4 processor. They are all connected by a 1 Gigabit switch.
>
>Would if be possible to use GFS or is there any other variant. They all run FC5( Fedora Core 5 ). I need some sort of GFS, because we intend on setting up a mysql clustering system as well.
>
>Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

If you plan on doing anything with your cluster other than just
tinkering...that is, if you intend to do real work with it, then you
just need fencing. It is a requirement for a sound cluster/GFS environment.

Here is a WTI unit
http://cgi.ebay.com/WTI-NPS-115-Telnet-Dial-Up-Network-Power-Switch_W0QQitemZ9717474832QQcategoryZ86723QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

You can also find used APC switches there as well.

You just need fencing.

-J