[Linux-cluster] RE: < fecing with out any hardware? >

Arnd m_list at eshine.de
Wed May 3 15:57:20 UTC 2006

Bowie Bailey wrote:
> Pool Lee, Mr <14117614 at sun.ac.za> wrote:
>> What about software fencing? Is it really nesasary to be hardware!
>
> Your choices are limited by your configuration.  The only options that
> can be used with any configuration are manual and power.

I was testing a few possibilities of fencing. GFS expects from the
fencing script the status "0" to decide if it was successfull. So you
can specify any script by your own in the cluster.conf. (Please correct
me, if I'm wrong)

This script can be an automatic login to the failed server (ssh, rlogin,
serial console) which can execute any remote operation (for example
unload the module of the SAN-device) or causing an kernel panic (which
is the fencing-method in ocfs2 ;-) ).

Your fencing-script must assure that the failed host doesn't have access
to the filesystem anymore!

Arnd