[Linux-cluster] Upgrade from Enterprise 3 to Enterprise 4

Robert S Peterson rpeterso at redhat.com
Wed May 24 18:18:13 UTC 2006

Hi Matthew,

On Wed, 2006-05-24 at 11:02 -0600, Matthew B. Brookover wrote:
> For various reasons, I am getting ready to upgrade from Enterprise 3 and
> GFS 6.0 to Enterprise 4 and GFS 6.1.
>
> The upgrade section of the GFS 6.1 administrators guide has instructions
> to convert pools to LVM2 and says to see the Configuring and Managing a
> Cluster guide to convert a GFS file system from GULM to DLM.  I have not
> carefully read the Configuring and Managing a Cluster Guide, but a quick
> scan of the index and table of contents did not reveal the instructions.
>
> So, my first question, how do I switch an existing file system in GFS
> 6.1 from GULM to DLM?

The GFS filesystem format is identical from RHEL3 to RHEL4.
If you want to switch from GULM to DLM (a wise move), do this:

gfs_tool sb <your device> proto lock_dlm

For example:

[root at trin-12 ~]# gfs_tool sb /dev/bobs_vg/lvol0 proto lock_dlm

> The second question, what kind of experiences have people had with an
> upgrade of a cluster from Enterprise 3 AS update 6 to Enterprise 4 AS
> update 3?

I'm sure other people would be willing to share their stories.

> Thank you
>
> Matt
> mbrookov at mines.edu

I also recommend making a good backup or two of your fs before starting.

Regards,

Bob Peterson
Red Hat Cluster Suite