[Linux-cluster] dm_multipath and failover

Matthew Geier matthew at arts.usyd.edu.au
Tue Nov 7 02:12:11 UTC 2006

  Not strictly a clustering question, but

  I have for RHEL CS servers connected to an EMC CX300. QLA2432 fibre
channel controllers.

  The cards have two FC channels. I've used them to run a redundant
fabric - there are two fibre channel switches, that each connect to one
of the EMC's FC ports - so there are two paths to the storage. A link or
switch can fail, but the hosts still can see the storage.

  The redundancy works fine - I can pull a fibre out and the hosts can
see the storage fine. Syslog gets spammed with lots of scsi errors, but
dm_multipath does its stuff and the server keeps running.

  However if I plug that fibre back in, the path doesn't come back. So
far the only way to get the path back i've found is to reboot the server.
  Is there any way to tell the controller the path is back ?.

  I have noticed that if i'm in this state, rebooting the McData FC
switch will also restore the channel - it's like the switch sends some
sort of re-initialise channel signal as it reboots.