[Linux-cluster] cluster question

Robert Peterson rpeterso at redhat.com
Tue Nov 14 19:47:11 UTC 2006

David Grootendorst wrote:
> Redhat,
>
> Last week i installed a 3 node cluster at a bank in The Netherlands.
> I've got the folling problem:
> Start the 2 nodes.
> They form the cluster and node 3 is automaticly fenced on the brocade switch.
> If i want to join the cluster with node 3, i have to enable the 2 SAN
> ports on the SAN swiches and boot my machine again. ( No san... no data
> disks at boottime ).
> Is this normal or do i miss something?
> ( running the latest redhat software. )
>
> David Grootendorst
> RHCT
> RHCE
> RHCA ( almost )

Hi David,

What normally is supposed to happen is that all three nodes are started
at once.

The first two nodes should wait for the third node to join the fence
domain before
they proceed.  The only reason the third node would be fenced is if it
hasn't
reported in before the post_join_delay time specified in the
cluster.conf file.  See:

http://sources.redhat.com/cluster/faq.html#fence_startup

I think the goal was to get the cluster in a known good fully-functional
state
at startup.

Regards,

Bob Peterson