[Linux-cluster] LVM2 cluster problem

O'Sullivan, Damian damian.osullivan at hp.com
Mon Oct 2 16:41:37 UTC 2006

Hi all,

A few days ago I had to reset a node in the cluster. On reboot I get the
following :

Making device-mapper control node
Scanning logical volumes
  Unable to open external locking library liblvm2clusterlock.so
  Reading all physical volumes.  This may take a while...
cdrom: open failed.
  Found volume group "VolGroup00" using metadata type lvm2
  Found volume group "MSA_VOL" using metadata type lvm2
Activating logical volumes
  Unable to open external locking library liblvm2clusterlock.so
  Locking inactive: ignoring clustered volume group VolGroup00
ERROR: /bin/lvm exited abnormally! (pid 402)
Creating root device
Mounting root filesystem
mount: error 6 mounting ext3
mount: error 2 mounting none
Switching to new root
switchroot: mount failed: 22
umount /initrd/dev failed: 2

This is a result of the following commands in my initrd :

insmod /lib/jbd.ko
echo "Loading ext3.ko module"
insmod /lib/ext3.ko
echo "Loading dm-mirror.ko module"
insmod /lib/dm-mirror.ko
echo "Loading dm-zero.ko module"
insmod /lib/dm-zero.ko
echo "Loading dm-snapshot.ko module"
insmod /lib/dm-snapshot.ko
/sbin/udevstart
echo Making device-mapper control node
mkdmnod
echo Scanning logical volumes
lvm vgscan --ignorelockingfailure
echo Activating logical volumes
lvm vgchange -ay --ignorelockingfailure VolGroup00
echo Creating root device
mkrootdev /dev/root
umount /sys
echo Mounting root filesystem
mount -o defaults --ro -t ext3 /dev/root /sysroot
mount -t tmpfs --bind /dev /sysroot/dev
echo Switching to new root
switchroot /sysroot
umount /initrd/dev

The other node is exactly the same and comes up no problem with the same
initrd + kernel. I can access all the logical volumes from a rescue
disk.
All based on Centos 4.4 with latest updates.
Any ideas?

Thanks,

D.

Kernel : 2.6.9-42.0.2.Elsmp
Cluster LVM daemon version: 2.02.06 (2006-05-12)
Protocol version:           0.2.1