[Linux-cluster] heartbeat network

We want to implement a web hosting service using
RHEL4. The idea is to load balance several web servers
using a hardware network load balancer and use GFS as
the shared storage. As I know we have to install
redhat cluster suit and redhat GFS to implement shared
storage. My question is :

1)If we don’t want to set up cluster service,and
just want the shared storage (GFS), do we still need
heartbeat network?

I would be grateful if anyone could help me regarding
this issue.

--Regards
Sara