[Linux-cluster] Problem starting cluster

Patrick Caulfield pcaulfie at redhat.com
Mon Oct 23 08:05:36 UTC 2006

isplist at logicore.net wrote:
> I'm not seeing any of these...

of what?

> Oct 19 11:22:07 dev ccsd[4478]: Initial status:: Inquorate
> Oct 19 11:22:11 dev kernel: CMAN: sending membership request
> Oct 19 11:22:11 dev kernel: CMAN: Cluster membership rejected
> Oct 19 11:22:11 dev ccsd[4478]: Cluster manager shutdown.  Attemping to
> reconnect...
> Oct 19 11:22:11 dev kernel: CMAN: Waiting to join or form a Linux-cluster
> Oct 19 11:22:11 dev kernel: CMAN: sending membership request
> Oct 19 11:22:11 dev kernel: CMAN: Cluster membership rejected
> Oct 19 11:22:12 dev clvmd: Can't open cluster manager socket: Network is down
> Oct 19 11:22:16 dev ccsd[4478]: Unable to connect to cluster infrastructure
> after 30 seconds.
> Oct 19 11:22:46 dev ccsd[4478]: Unable to connect to cluster infrastructure
> after 60 seconds.
> [root at dev new]#

I'll repeat this information, because it's all that actually matters. If a
node is being reject by cman that IS another node that is rejecting that node
and it WILL tell syslog why (unless you have kernel logging switched off for
some reason).

 - mismatching cluster.conf version numbers
 - mismatch cluster names
 - mismatch cluster number (a hash of the name)
 - node has the wrong node ID (ie it joined with the same
   name and a different node ID or vice versa)
 - protocol version differs (or other software mismatch - there are several
   error messages for these but they boil down to the same thing)

Something else you might like to try is changing the port number that this
cluster is using, or changing the cluster name to something totally different.

If you find that things work after doing this then you can be sure there is
another cluster with that name/number on the network. If not, then you need to
double/triple check that the config files really do all match on all nodes.

--

patrick